Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ethan's Dol

So it's been almost a month since Ethan's party, and I'm just now getting around to posting about it. I cannot believe my baby is already one! Where did the last year go? He is such a happy little boy, and full of personality, as you can see below. What a tease!


My mom was amazing (again!) and cooked for two days straight to make this delicious feast. Lots of yummy Korean food for the whole family to enjoy. Thanks Mom! There were lots more people there, but we forgot to get a big group shot.


Ethan kept making this face while we were trying to take pictures. He was tired & ready for a nap!


Tyler on the other hand, was his usual charming self. We're still working on a "natural" smile for pictures. :)


The best shots are always the candids...



After everyone had their fill of food, Ethan had to "choose his destiny." The doljabi is a traditional ritual where several items (pen & paper, mouse, money, rolling pin, whistle, book, thread) are placed in front of the child. Then they pick the items that foretell their future. For example, if the child picks up a book, he is destined to be a scholar. If he picks up money, he will be wealthy. If the child picks up the thread, it is believed he will live a long life.


Ethan chose the money first. Went straight for it! Which is funny, since I've never let him play with money, real or fake. Hopefully this future is real...I'd like my children to support me in a manner in which I'd like to become accustom. ;)


Next was the computer mouse...of course!


Here's the traditional Korean rice cake. I actually made this one myself, thanks to YouTube & a girl named Mangchi.


And the cake for him to devour. Didn't it turn out cute?


He wasn't quite sure what to do with it...


So he squished it...


And played with it...


Then Tyler had to try some...


And share with his brother, since he wasn't eating it himself.


We love you Ethan!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! He's such a happy guy.
We love cousins!

cl said...

what a totally awesome tradition! i love that he gets to "choose his destiny!" he is obviously a smart kid...to know that he needs the mouse to make money ;)
candi

Jenny said...

I love reading about and seeing pictures of those fun traditions! Your boys are so lucky! Ethan is absolutely adorable.